April showers bring May flowers…and potentially serious water damage to your home. From heavy rain showers to elusive hidden leaks, water has a way of finding its way into every crack and crevice of a structure resulting in rotting material and dangerous mold growth. Spring is the perfect time to evaluate areas of your home that could be susceptible. The water damage experts at Drain Masters are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help identify and fix any problems. Check out these helpful tips to prevent water damage in your home:
- When is the last time you cleared your gutters? There is likely a buildup of organic matter in your gutters and downspouts that has collected over the fall and winter. Regularly clear them and ensure all downspouts extend three to five feet away from your foundation.
- Take some extra time to review your water bill to check for unexpected increases in cost and/or water usage. This is often the sign of a hidden leak.
- Keep storm drains clear from any objects or debris to ensure an open flow for water to drain.
- Keep grease and other harmful foods out of sinks and drains. This waste is harmful for your drains and can lead to nasty blockages.
- Seal cracks around your basement foundation, windows and bathroom tiling to prevent water from entering the walls and floors of your home.
- Consider installing shelving units in your basement that can keep items off of floors in case flooding occurs.
- Replace any old or broken plumbing items like shower arms/heads, sink p-traps and toilet o-rings. One small crack or leak from these areas could send water trickling into your walls or floors leading resulting in extensive repairs. Call Drain Masters if you need any assistance making these repairs.
- Landscape around your home’s foundation with vegetation that can help to minimize soil erosion.
If you notice the beginnings of water damage or have experienced a serious leak or flood, call the water cleanup experts at Drain Masters. Our technicians have received Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and are available 24/7 with state-of-the art water extraction, drying and moisture testing equipment to handle water and sewer damage cleanup, cleaning and deodorizing, drying of contents and structure and water leak repair. Call or schedule service online.