It’s no secret that water can cause serious damage to a home. From big rain storms to small hidden leaks, water can find its way into every crack and crevice of a structure resulting in rotting material, dangerous mold growth. The water damage experts at Drain Masters are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help isolate and fix the problem. In the meantime, follow these helpful tips to prevent water damage in your home:
- Regularly clean leaves and other organic matter from gutters and downspouts. Ensure all downspouts extend three to six feet away from the property’s foundation.
- Replace old or slightly broken items like the shower arm and head, toilet wax o-rings and sink p-traps. One small crack or leak from these areas could send water trickling into your walls or floors leading to extensive damage.
- Always take time to review your water bill for unexpected increases in cost/water usage. This could be the sign of a hidden leak.
- Keep grease and other harmful matter out of drains. This waste is harmful for your drains and can lead to nasty blockages.
- Spend some time sealing cracks around windows, basement foundations and bathroom/shower tiling to prevent water from entering the walls and floors of your home.
- Install shelving in the basement to keep items off floor in case of any flooding. Keep valuables upstairs and away from floors.
- Landscape around your home’s foundation with plants and vegetation that minimize soil erosion.
- Keep indoor and outdoor storm drains clear from any objects or debris to ensure an open flow for water to drain.
If you notice the beginnings of water damage or have experienced a serious leak or flood, call the water cleanup experts at Drain Masters. Our technicians have received Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and are available 24/7 with state-of-the art water extraction, drying and moisture testing equipment to handle water and sewer damage cleanup, cleaning and deodorizing, drying of contents and structure and water leak repair. Call or schedule service online.